Mr. White has over thirty-five years of experience as a trial litigator in a number of matters that cover a spectrum of civil and criminal practice, including white collar crime, environmental, mass tort, personal injury, antitrust, and securities litigation. He has been lead counsel in a number of high-profile trials, representing both plaintiffs and defendants. Mr. White also has conducted independent investigations on behalf of a number of major corporations. Courts and clients call upon him regularly for mediation and arbitration services. He is also a frequent speaker on campaign oversight committees and judicial ethics.
Mr. White recently delivered his Dean’s Address, “The Last Battle,” to the Annual Meeting of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers . His Address can be viewed in its entirety here.
Prior to White Arnold & Dowd:
Founder of the law firm of White, Dunn & Booker in Birmingham, Alabama. As of August 1, 2003, White, Dunn & Booker became White Arnold & Dowd P.C. From 1984 to 1988, Mr. White spent four years as a CEO in the corporate world as head of a real estate development company.
- American Bar Association, House of Delegates (1995-2001)
Alabama State Bar
- Immediate Past President (2009-2010)
- President (2008-2009)
- Bar Commissioner (1995-2004)
- Committee on Judicial Reform
- Chair, Future of the Profession Task Force
- Committee on Personnel
Birmingham Bar Association
- Nominating Committee (2014)
- Long Range Planning Committee (2010)
- President (2004)
- Executive Committee (1999-2001)
- Secretary/Treasurer (1983)
- Alabama Supreme Court Committee on Judicial Canons & Ethics, Chairman
- Alabama Supreme Court Judicial Oversight Committee, Chairman (1998-1999)
- National Ad Hoc Advisory Committee on Judicial Campaign Conduct, Co-Chair
- Alabama Law Foundation, Atticus Finch Society
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Samford University Cumberland School of Law, President, National Alumni Association (2007-2009)
- Alabama Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Leadership Birmingham
- Judicial Inquiry Commission, Member (1999–2007)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rating
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers: Vice President (2016-2017); Dean (2015-2016); Board of Directors; Chairman, Admissions Committee
- American Board of Trial Advocates (“ABOTA”) - Honorary Trial Lawyers' Society: Member, Alabama Chapter
- America’s Top 100 Attorneys®
- The Best Lawyers in America (1995–2017)
- B-Metro Magazine, Top Lawyers (2016)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers (2016)
- Alabama Super Lawyers (2008-2015)
- Birmingham Magazine, Top Attorneys (2014)
- Birmingham Business Journal’s Best of the Bar, White Collar Crime and Litigation (2005–2012)
- Best Lawyers' 2012 Birmingham Mass Tort Litigation Lawyer of the Year
- Recipient of the National Center for State Courts, Distinguished Service Award (2006)
- Recipient of Alabama State Bar Commissioner’s Award (1999)
- Recipient of Alabama State Bar Award of Merit
- The Fellows of the Alabama Law Foundation
- The Fellows of the Birmingham Bar Foundation
- J.M. White, K.R. Brown, B.A. Dowd, “Bingo in Alabama: More Than Just a Game,” 41 Cumberland Law Review 509, 2010-2011.
- “’Request for Oral Argument Denied:’ The Death of Oral Argument in Alabama’s Appellate Courts,” The Alabama Lawyer, March 2008.
- Wake Forest University School of Law Inn of Court, Winston Salem, October 13, 2016.
- "The Last Battle," Dean's Address, International Academy of Trial Lawyers Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., April 5, 2016.
- “Ethics,” CLE Presentation, Alabama Criminal Defense Lawyers Association 2015 Death Penalty Seminar, January 24, 2015.
- “Musical Chairs at the Bar: How to Keep a Seat in the Future of Law Practice,” CLE Presentation, Alabama State Bar Annual Meeting, July 9, 2014.
- “Ethic of Criminal Defense,” The University of Alabama School of Law, April 29, 2011.
- Alabama State Bar Admission Ceremony, May 27, 2009.
- Birmingham School of Law Banquet, May 23, 2009.
- "Why the Women Lawyers of Mobile County Are Important to the Alabama State Bar,” April 7, 2009.
- "Why the Lawyers of Tuscaloosa County Are Important to the Alabama State Bar,” Tuscaloosa County Bar Association Meeting, March 4, 2009.
- "Why the Lawyers of Houston County Are Important to the Alabama State Bar,” Houston County Bar Association Meeting, February 25, 2009.
- “Some Days are Diamonds – Some Days are Stone,” Service to the Profession, February 20, 2009.
- “Anatomy of a Merit Selection Victory,” Panelist, American Judicature Society, February 13, 2009.
- "Why Plaintiffs' Lawyers are Important to the Alabama State Bar," CLE Presentation, Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles, P.C. Retreat, November 21, 2008.
- "Judicial Campaign Reform," Rotary Club of Shades Valley, September 8, 2008.
- "Judicial Campaign Reform," Exchange Club of Birmingham, August 21, 2008.
- “Preaching to the Choir,” Presidential Address, Alabama State Bar, July 12, 2008.
- “President’s Speech,” Alabama State Bar Annual Meeting, July 12, 2008.
- “League of Women Voters,” LWVAL Council, May 3, 2008.
- "White Collar Crimes: Handling Complex Criminal Litigation," Prosecution and Defense of Criminal Cases, Cumberland School of Law, October 19, 2007.
- “Common Ground,” Orientation Luncheon, Cumberland School of Law, August 13, 2007.