An undergraduate and law school graduate of the University of Alabama, Bob Cooper was admitted to the bar in 1977. During the course of his career, Mr. Cooper has tried more than 150 cases to a jury verdict. His clients include businesses and individuals in the manufacturing, commercial transportation, health care and medical device, and insurance industries, among others. Mr. Cooper has defended clients in personal injury and professional negligence matters, he has represented business entities against claims of negligence, fraud and bad faith, and he has appeared on behalf of clients before the various authorities that regulate professional conduct.
- Council on Litigation Management
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- International Association of Defense Counsel ("IADC")
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Alabama Society for Human Resource Management
- Defense Research Institute ("DRI")
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar
- American Bar Association
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association ("ADLA")
- Vestavia/Hoover Kiwanis Club
- Habitat for Humanity
- Canterbury United Methodist Church
- Alabama State Bar
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- The Fellows of the Alabama Law Foundation
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rating
- The Best Lawyers in America: Medical Malpractice Defense and Personal Injury Litigation Defense (2011-2017); Insurance Litigation (2015-2017); Health Care Litigation (2016-2017); Legal Malpractice Defense (2017); Product Liability Litigation Defense (2017); 2017 Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants Lawyer of the Year; 2016 Insurance Lawyer of the Year
- Mid-South Super Lawyers (2016)
- Alabama Super Lawyers: Personal Injury Defense: General, Medical Malpractice, and Products Liability (2010-2015)
- Benchmark Litigation, "Alabama Litigation Stars," Health Care and Products Liability (2013 -2015)
- "New Legislation Seeks to Address National Opioid Concerns," Birmingham Medical News Blog, Aug. 10, 2016.
- Co-Presenter of “Ethical Obligations in Jury Selection,” followed by a panel discussion with with sitting Alabama state court judges, Hon. Steven Haddock, Hon. Donna Pate and Hon. Caryl Privett; Attorneys Insurance Mutual of the South® (AIM) 2014 Annual CLE Seminar (December 5, 2014).
- Co-Presenter with John L. Carroll, dean of Cumberland School of Law, Ethics in Jury Selection: Discovery of Juror Misrepresentation and Effects of Social Media, at the Professional Liability Defense Federation (PLDF) Annual Meeting, September 17-19, 2014.
- Presenter, “Settlement Negotiation and Alternative Dispute Resolution in the Trucking Litigation Context,” 2014 ACI Annual Defending and Managing Trucking Litigation Conference in Chicago, Ill.
- Presenter, “The Law of Jury Selection and Ethical Considerations in Jury Selection,” National Business Institute CLE, addressing the topics of key statutes and case law affecting jury selection, local rules and procedures, grounds for Challenges for Cause, and respect toward the Court, the jurors and opposing counsel (December 2013).
- Presenter, Medical Malpractice Seminar, Alabama Bar Institute for Continuing Legal Education (2005).
- Presenter, “Tackling Advanced Medical Malpractice Issues in Alabama,” National Business Institute (2005).
- Presenter, “Effective Trial Preparation” and “Tactical Trial Pointers,” National Business Institute’s Medical Malpractice From A to Z Conference (October 24, 2007).
- Holcomb v. Carraway, 945 So. 2d 1009 (Ala. 2006).
- Black v. Comer, 920 So. 2d 1083 (Ala. 2005).
- Halford v. Alamo Rent-A-Car, LLC, 921 So. 2d 409 (Ala. 2005).
- Lloyd Nolan Hosp. v. Durham, 906 So. 2d 157 (Ala. 2005).
- Slay v. Keller Indus., Inc., 823 So. 2d 623 (Ala. 2001).
- Ex parte Showers, 812 So. 2d 277 (Ala. 2001).
- Ex parte Boshell, 805 So .2d 675 (Ala. 2001).
- Wade Clinic of Chiropractic, P.C. v. Rayburn, 812 So. 2d 1159 (Ala. 2001).
- Crete Carrier Corp. v. Adair, 792 So. 2d 429 (Ala. 2000).
- Ex parte Cardiovascular Assocs., P.C., 776 So. 2d 49 (Ala. 2000).
- Ex parte Proactive Ins. Corp., 668 So. 2d 512 (Ala. 1995).
- Stewart v. Secor Realty & Inv. Corp., 667 So. 2d 52 (Ala. 1995).
- Patterson v. Hays, 623 So. 2d 1142 (Ala. 1993).
- Ex parte Paul Maclean Land Servs., Inc., 613 So. 2d 1284 (Ala. 1993).
- Smith v. Med. Ctr. E., 585 So. 2d 1325 (Ala. 1991).
- Miller v. Norwood Clinic, Inc., PC, 577 So. 2d 860 (Ala. 1991).
- Ex parte Hobbs, 502 So. 2d 1209 (Ala. 1987).