Mr. Arnold began practicing law in November 1974. He has earned recognition as one of Alabama’s pre-eminent matrimonial and divorce attorneys. Mr. Arnold’s extensive background in finance, accounting, and general business enhances his chosen concentration in financially and legally complex matrimonial matters. Mr. Arnold also has many years of experience in the difficulties of child custody litigation.
Mr. Arnold has participated in numerous significant and precedent-setting trials and appeals. His trial skills have provided beneficial results to many clients. However, dedication to serving his clients’ overall best interests and his emphasis on problem solving, negotiating, and achieving settlements comprise his greatest source of pride. Helping and guiding people through the stresses of divorce, matrimonial litigation, and the court system is also one of his assets.
In 1982 Mr. Arnold was one of the first five practitioners in Alabama to be selected for Fellowship in the prestigious American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. Through the AAML he has served to improve the practice of matrimonial law on a national level. Mr. Arnold has been on the national faculty for the Annual Institute for Training Family Law Associates through the AAML since 1997. He has contributed to the National Voice of Children project and served as a Governor of the AAML from 1999 through 2006. He has served on the board of the AAML Foundation that distributes grants to children’s charities nationwide.
Mr. Arnold has been selected for inclusion in the annual listing of Best Lawyers in America since 1983. He has been designated as a Super Lawyer in its annual listing since its inception in 2008.
Mr. Arnold earned the honor of Certification as a Family Law Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy in 2002.
Prior to White Arnold & Dowd:
- Mr. Arnold was affiliated as a solo practitioner with White, Dunn and Booker, the predecessor to White Arnold & Dowd (1993-2003)
- Mr. Arnold was a partner in the firm of Durward and Arnold, concentrating solely in the area of matrimonial law (1979-1993)
- Mr. Arnold was a partner in the firm of Jones, Arnold & Roden, engaging in a broad general practice resulting in the beginning of his specialization in matrimonial law (1974-1979)
American College of Family Trial Lawyers
- ACFTL fellowship is extended to a select, limited group of 100 of the top family law trial lawyers from across the United States by invitation only. In order to be admitted, lawyers must be actively engaged in family law trial work as their principal area of practice for a minimum of ten years and a member of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, a National organization of family law attorneys with 1600 members throughout the United States. Excellence in family law trial practice is a prerequisite for fellowship.
International Academy of Family Lawyers
- IAFL is a worldwide association of practicing lawyers who are recognized by their peers as the most experienced and skilled family law specialists in their respective countries.
American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Fellow (1982)
- Served on Board of Governors (1999-2006)
- Served on or Chaired Various National Committees
Family Law Section of the Alabama State Bar Association
- Served as its third president
- Heart Gallery (child adoption advocacy), Board Member
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rating
- The Best Lawyers in America (1983-present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers (2016-2018)
- Alabama Super Lawyers (2008-2015)
- Birmingham Magazine, Top Attorneys (2014)
- Certification by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, Family Law Specialist (2002)
- Birmingham Multiple Sclerosis (Leadership Class of 2008)
- Birmingham Business Journal’s Best of the Bar, Matrimonial Law (2005–2012)
- AAML Foundation, Director
- "Double Dipping," Alabama State Bar Family Law Section "Divorce on the Beach" CLE, Sandestin, May 31, 2019.
- "How to Read a Tax Return," AAML Institute for Training Young Lawyers, Chicago (annually for 20 years)