Originally from Russellville, Alabama, Ms. Brown joined White Arnold & Dowd P.C. in 2006. She practices in both state and federal courts, as well as in administrative proceedings. Ms. Brown represents individual and corporate defendants in white collar criminal actions, primarily in the areas of healthcare fraud, financial crimes, and environmental crimes, as well as in parallel civil and criminal proceedings. She also represents both plaintiffs and defendants in complex civil litigation as well as pharmaceutical and environmental tort actions, whistleblower cases, healthcare matters, consumer class actions, and handles executive severance and compensation matters.
Prior to White Arnold & Dowd:
Ms. Brown graduated from the University of Alabama School of Law in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, where she served on the Alabama Law Review as a Senior Editor and on the Labor and Employment Moot Court Team. The Alabama Law Review published Ms. Brown’s work on racial integration and property law, “Integrating the City of the Dead,” in Summer 2005. Ms. Brown received a Bachelor of Arts degree, summa cum laude, in History with a Spanish minor from Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama.
American Bar Association
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- House of Delegates, Delegate for the State of Alabama (2014-2015)
- Young Lawyers Division, Assembly Delegate for the State of Alabama (2011-2013)
Alabama State Bar
- Consolidated Fundraising Task Force, Vice Chair (2018-2020)
- Mid-Year Meeting Task Force (2019-2020)
- Leadership Forum Selection & Program Committee (2019-2020)
- Diversity & Inclusion in the Profession Committee (2019-2020)
- Section Coordination & Evaluation Task Force (2019-2020)
- Member Benefits Committee (2019-2020)
- Foster Care Task Force (2017-2019)
- Lawyer Incubator Task Force (2017-2019)
- Lawyer University Task Force (2016-2019)
- Leadership Forum Alumni Section, Executive Council (2014-2018)
- Young Lawyers Section: Executive Committee (2007-2014); Immediate Past President (2013-2014); President (2012-2013); Vice President (2011-2012); Secretary (2010-2011); Treasurer (2009-2010)
- Committee on Volunteer Lawyers / Access to Legal Services
- Women’s Section
- Mentoring Program, Pilot Program Participant (2007)
Birmingham Bar Association
- 2020 Focus Group
- Grievance Committee (2017-2022)
- Women Lawyers Section
- Scholarship Committee: Co-Chair (2010, 2013), Member (2016)
- Future Leaders Forum Committee (2012)
- Public Service Committee (2007-2009)
- Young Lawyers Section
- Birmingham Inn of Court
- Women’s White Collar Defense Association
YWCA Central Alabama
- Board of Directors (2017-present)
- Vice President, Development (2020)
- Executive Committee (2020)
- Purse and Passion Table Captain Committee Co-Chair (2019), Committee Member (2014-2019)
- Junior Board President (2013-2014)
- Junior Board President-Elect (2012-2013)
- Junior Board Executive Committee (2011-2014)
- Junior Board (2008-2014)
- Samford University , Howard College of Arts and Sciences Advisory Board (2019-present)
- The Junior League of Birmingham
- Alabama Law Alumni Society , Leadership Council (2018-present)
- University of Alabama School of Law Farrah Law Alumni Society, Board of Trustees (2010-2018)
- Junior Women's Committee of 100, Past President (2018-2019); President (2017-2018); Vice President (2016-2017); Secretary (2015-2016)
- St Mary’s-on-the-Highlands Episcopal Church
- Alabama State Bar
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rating
- Alabama State Bar “President’s Award” in recognition of exemplary service to the profession (2020)
- B-Metro Magazine, Top Flight Attorneys (2016-2020)
- B-Metro Magazine, Top Women Attorneys (2015-2019)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers (2016-2019)
- Birmingham Business Journal, Rising Stars of Law (2018)
- Alabama State Bar “President’s Award” in recognition of exemplary service to the profession (2018)
- Torchbearer, Junior League of Birmingham's "Community of Lights" Centennial Campaign (2018)
- Alabama Super Lawyers (2013-2015)
- Birmingham Business Journal, “Top 40 Under 40” (2014)
- Leadership UAB (2013)
- Alabama State Bar Leadership Forum, Class 8 (2012)
- Alabama Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2011, 2012)
- Birmingham Magazine, Top Attorneys 2012, Rising Star
- B-Metro Magazine, Rising Star of the Birmingham Bar (2012)
- Samford University Outstanding Young Alumnus Award (2011)
- Birmingham Bar Association Future Leaders Forum, Graduate (2009)
- The Junior League of Birmingham, “Woman to Watch” (2008-2009)
- University of Alabama School of Law: Alabama Law Review, Senior Editor; John A. Campbell Moot Court Board; Robert F. Wagner Labor and Employment Moot Court Team; Bench and Bar Honor Society; Order of Barristers; Order of the Samaritan; Dean’s Award for Community Service; Law School Ambassador; Dorbin Law Society, President
- Samford University Omicron Delta Kappa; Phi Kappa Phi; Order of Omega, President; Robert Leland Tindal Award; Wheeler, Tower, and Seal Medals; Dean’s List; Student Senate; SGA Student Activities Council; Leadership Samford
- J.M. White, K.R. Brown, B.A. Dowd, “Bingo in Alabama: More Than Just a Game,” 41 Cumberland Law Review 509, 2010-2011.
- K.A. Rogers, “Integrating the City of the Dead: The Integration of Cemeteries and the Evolution of Property Law, 1900-1969,” 56 Ala. L. Rev. 1153, Summer 2005.
- “International Women’s Day,” Panel Member, Forge Birmingham, March 6, 2020.
- “Trial Skills 101,” CLE Moderator, Alabama State Bar Midyear Meeting, January 23, 2020.
- "Leadership Forum at 15," CLE Panel Presentation, Alabama State Bar Annual Meeting, July 18, 2019.
- “Technology 101,” CLE Moderator, Alabama State Bar Lawyer University Task Force, April 27, 2017.
- “Cybercrime: Principles and Pitfalls,” CLE Panel Presentation, Alabama State Bar White Collar Crime Committee, March 16, 2017.
- "The Business of Being a Lawyer," Faculty, University of Alabama School of Law, January 15, 2016.
- "The Importance of Local and State Bar Involvement for the Young Lawyer,” Future Leaders Forum, Birmingham Bar Association, August 13, 2013.
- “National Pro Bono Celebration: Leadership and Service,” Thomas Goode Jones School of Law, October 23, 2012.
- Represented the Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama in a suit seeking injunctive relief in federal court to prevent enforcement of H.B. 56, Alabama’s anti-immigration law.
- Represented manufacturing plant in investigation of alleged criminal violations of Clean Water Act.
- Represented bank executive in connection with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation’s investigation of issues related to bank failure.
- Represented key witness in criminal trial of alleged Medicaid fraud “kick-back” conspiracy scheme.
- Represented healthcare provider during investigation by the Office of Inspector General, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Represented pharmaceutical manufacturer in connection with charges by the Alabama Board of Pharmacy alleging violations of the Alabama Pharmacy Practice Act.
- Defended gaming corporation in connection with seizure of alleged illegal gaming devices by the State of Alabama.
- Defended healthcare financial services professional charged with conspiring to create false accounting entries for cost reports to obtain inflated reimbursements from Medicare.
- Represented financial institution in production of records related to federal investigation of customer.
- Represented physician in credentialing dispute with local healthcare system.
- Represented individual defendant charged with bank fraud and related counts connected with the individual acting as a “straw borrower” for the purchase of real estate.
- Defended practice manager charged with tax evasion related to the management of a medical practice in rural Alabama; charges arose as a result of federal government’s investigation of the medical practice for healthcare fraud related to improper bundling and “upcoding “of claims submitted to Medicare.
- Represented client in complex civil suit alleging violations of Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution and Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (“RICO”), conspiracy, tortious interference with contractual or business relations, and tortious interference with prospective business relationships.
- Advised corporations and their general counsel regarding internal investigations and coordination of same.