Mr. White has over forty years of experience as a trial litigator in a number of matters that cover a spectrum of civil and criminal practice, including white collar crime, environmental, mass tort, personal injury, antitrust, and securities litigation. He has been lead counsel in a number of high-profile trials, representing both plaintiffs and defendants. Mr. White also has conducted independent investigations on behalf of a number of major corporations. Courts and clients call upon him regularly for mediation and arbitration services. He is also a frequent speaker on campaign oversight committees and judicial ethics.
Mr. White delivered his Dean’s Address, “The Last Battle,” to the Annual Meeting of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers in April 2016. His Address can be viewed in its entirety here.
Prior to White Arnold & Dowd:
Founder of the law firm of White, Dunn & Booker in Birmingham, Alabama. As of August 1, 2003, White, Dunn & Booker became White Arnold & Dowd P.C. From 1984 to 1988, Mr. White spent four years as a CEO in the corporate world as head of a real estate development company.
- American Bar Association, House of Delegates (1995-2001)
Alabama State Bar
- Immediate Past President (2009-2010)
- President (2008-2009)
- Bar Commissioner (1995-2004)
- Committee on Judicial Reform
- Chair, Future of the Profession Task Force
- Committee on Personnel
Birmingham Bar Association
- Nominating Committee (2014)
- Long Range Planning Committee (2010)
- President (2004)
- Executive Committee (1999-2001)
- Secretary/Treasurer (1983)
- Alabama Supreme Court Committee on Judicial Canons & Ethics, Chairman
- Alabama Supreme Court Judicial Oversight Committee, Chairman (1998-1999)
- National Ad Hoc Advisory Committee on Judicial Campaign Conduct, Co-Chair
- Alabama Law Foundation, Atticus Finch Society
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Samford University Cumberland School of Law, President, National Alumni Association (2007-2009)
- Alabama Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Leadership Birmingham
- Judicial Inquiry Commission, Member (1999–2007)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rating
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers: President (2018-2019); President-Elect (2017-2018); Vice President (2016-2017); Dean (2015-2016); Board of Directors; Chairman, Admissions Committee
- American Board of Trial Advocates (“ABOTA”) - Honorary Trial Lawyers' Society: Member, Alabama Chapter
- America’s Top 100 Attorneys®
- The Best Lawyers in America (1995–present)
- B-Metro Magazine, Top Lawyers (2016-2018)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers (2016-2017)
- Alabama Super Lawyers (2008-2015)
- Birmingham Magazine, Top Attorneys (2014)
- Birmingham Business Journal’s Best of the Bar, White Collar Crime and Litigation (2005–2012)
- The Best Lawyers in America 2012 Birmingham Mass Tort Litigation "Lawyer of the Year"
- Recipient of the National Center for State Courts, Distinguished Service Award (2006)
- Recipient of Alabama State Bar Commissioner’s Award (1999)
- Recipient of Alabama State Bar Award of Merit
- The Fellows of the Alabama Law Foundation
- The Fellows of the Birmingham Bar Foundation
- J.M. White, K.R. Brown, B.A. Dowd, “Bingo in Alabama: More Than Just a Game,” 41 Cumberland Law Review 509, 2010-2011.
- “’Request for Oral Argument Denied:’ The Death of Oral Argument in Alabama’s Appellate Courts,” The Alabama Lawyer, March 2008.
- Wake Forest University School of Law Inn of Court, Winston Salem, October 13, 2016.
- "The Last Battle," Dean's Address, International Academy of Trial Lawyers Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., April 5, 2016.
- “Ethics,” CLE Presentation, Alabama Criminal Defense Lawyers Association 2015 Death Penalty Seminar, January 24, 2015.
- “Musical Chairs at the Bar: How to Keep a Seat in the Future of Law Practice,” CLE Presentation, Alabama State Bar Annual Meeting, July 9, 2014.
- “Ethic of Criminal Defense,” The University of Alabama School of Law, April 29, 2011.
- Alabama State Bar Admission Ceremony, May 27, 2009.
- Birmingham School of Law Banquet, May 23, 2009.
- "Why the Women Lawyers of Mobile County Are Important to the Alabama State Bar,” April 7, 2009.
- "Why the Lawyers of Tuscaloosa County Are Important to the Alabama State Bar,” Tuscaloosa County Bar Association Meeting, March 4, 2009.
- "Why the Lawyers of Houston County Are Important to the Alabama State Bar,” Houston County Bar Association Meeting, February 25, 2009.
- “Some Days are Diamonds – Some Days are Stone,” Service to the Profession, February 20, 2009.
- “Anatomy of a Merit Selection Victory,” Panelist, American Judicature Society, February 13, 2009.
- "Why Plaintiffs' Lawyers are Important to the Alabama State Bar," CLE Presentation, Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles, P.C. Retreat, November 21, 2008.
- "Judicial Campaign Reform," Rotary Club of Shades Valley, September 8, 2008.
- "Judicial Campaign Reform," Exchange Club of Birmingham, August 21, 2008.
- “Preaching to the Choir,” Presidential Address, Alabama State Bar, July 12, 2008.
- “President’s Speech,” Alabama State Bar Annual Meeting, July 12, 2008.
- “League of Women Voters,” LWVAL Council, May 3, 2008.
- "White Collar Crimes: Handling Complex Criminal Litigation," Prosecution and Defense of Criminal Cases, Cumberland School of Law, October 19, 2007.
- “Common Ground,” Orientation Luncheon, Cumberland School of Law, August 13, 2007.